Required Documents Before Travel
- TRICARE Authorization for Specialty Care appointment
- Appointment confirmation from treating facility
- If a non-medical attendant (NMA) is required, a signed letter from referring physician (initial appointment only) stating the medical necessity for a NMA. For all follow up appointments, a validation letter stating a continued medical necessity requesting a NMA is required from the treating physician.
Patient Travel Office Issues Authorizations
- Memorandum for travel to and from treating facility
- Non medical attendant, if determined a medical necessity by referring physician
- Rental vehicle, if necessary
- Counseling Checklist – Will receive from patient travel clerk when receiving authorization memos. (Document will be uploaded in Defense Travel System when submitting voucher).
Required Documents After Travel
- Confirmation of Specialty Care Form or an appointment validation letter from the treating facility signed by a provider/facility representative indicating the appointment was kept (must include office letterhead with address, phone number, and signature block).
- Paid itemized meals receipts
- Paid toll receipts
- Paid itemized lodging receipts. Lodging receipts must be in patient’s name to be reimbursed. Should a NMA travel with patient, paid itemized lodging receipts must be in NMA’s name. All shared expenses can only be claimed by one traveler.
- Paid itemized receipt of pre-authorized rental vehicle. Only compact-sized vehicle is reimbursable.
Completed forms must be sent to the Travel network email address here, or presented to Patient Travel Office for processing.